As experienced personal injury attorneys practicing in the field of dog bites, we know the serious nature of these cases. When well-trained, dogs make great pets and we want them around our friends and family members, even if they happen to be young children. However, if a dog is not well-trained and snaps at someone, the injuries can be quite serious. The process of receiving compensation for your damages is confusing, and having the right lawyer to represent you in your dog bite claim can make a world of difference. That’s why we have made it our aim to help victims of dog bites and other animal attacks.
1. Who is legally responsible?
Sacramento is located in the state of California, and therefore California law applies. According to the said law, dog owners of a legal duty to restrain and keep under control their dogs for the safety of the general public. We are one of the few states that holds a dog owner liable for any and all injuries inflicted as a result of a dog attack, even if the dog had no prior history of aggressive behavior and there was no way for the owner to know such incident would happen. Fortunately for dog owners, they usually do not have to pay out of pocket as home owners insurance covers such incidents. So if you are friends with the dog’s owner, you can stay friends while their insurance company takes care of your injuries.
2. What to do after a dog bite accident?
- Get medical assistance. Report to the emergency room, or see a private doctor. If dog was not vaccinated, receive treatment for rabies
- Identify the dog. In some cases, a DNA test may be required, which you can attain with the help of your lawyer
- Get names and addresses of witnesses
- Get name and address of dog owner. Also, receive their insurance information, if they have one. If you have no way of getting a hold of the dog owner, revisit the same area at the same time, it is possible the dog owner will return to the same area
- Take photos of all your injuries
- Do not discuss who is to blame, do not write legal letters to dog owner or their insurance company, and do not take any money
3. What types of damages can I be compensated for?
If the victim of the dog bite was on public property, or lawfully on private property, they can expect to be compensated for all their damages. This includes pain and suffering, hospital bills, bills from your therapist if you had emotional trauma, lost wages, loss of future earnings, and possibly punitive damages. Please contact us to tell us more about your case, and we will let you know what other damages you can be compensated for.
Caring Attorneys Working on Contingency Basis
We have implemented certain policies to help our clients better deal with their injuries. Our law firm never charges an upfront fee. We will consult with you for free, and if we take your case, we will not charge any fees until we get you money. Our work is guaranteed. If we don’t receive money for you, our firm will bear the costs of litigating your case and you won’t have to pay. We also have medical doctors who work on a lien; they will not charge you for treatment until we get you money for your injuries. So if you are looking for a dog bite lawyer in Sacramento, you have found the right law firm to represent you.