If you are looking for a caring and experienced dog bite attorney in Los Angeles, you have come to the right place. With years of experience in this field and a proven track record of obtaining our clients the highest financial compensation for their damages, we know what it takes to win cases.
The state of California is one of the states with a dog bite statue that repudiates the requirement that the defendant (dog owner or dog walker or whoever was in control of the dog) had knowledge of the dog’s history of biting people. This means whether or not the dog has a history of biting people is irrelevant; the first time the dog bites or attacks a person, the owner is automatically liable for any damages. The only requirement is that the victim was either 1) in a public place 2) in a private place in a lawful manner. Lawful manner means the person was not trespassing. Fortunately, the owner’s home owner’s insurance policy, or renter’s insurance policy, usually covers these accidents, so if the dog owner and dog bite victim are friends or relatives, their relationship should not be jeopardized due to the dog bite. These rules apply to any injury or harm inflicted upon someone by a dog, not just bites. For example, if you were attacked by a dog and you tripped, breaking your hip, the dog owner may be liable for all your damages.
Types of Damage
- Medical bills – This includes bills for hospitalization, emergency room treatment, plastic surgery and physical therapy. Future medical bills may also be calculated and awarded
- Therapy - To treat emotional and psychological trauma, you may have to go to a therapist
- Pain and suffering – The pain that a person suffers as a result of a dog attack will be given a dollar value by a jury. Sometimes you can multiply your medical bills by two or four to get an approximate amount. Children are more likely to suffer, and they are usually awarded more for their pain and suffering
- Lost Income – If an attack makes the victim unable to work on a temporary or permanent basis, they may be compensated for their future loss of earnings
- Multiple damages – If it’s proven that the owner’s conduct was outrageous, or the owner was grossly negligent, damages may be doubled or tripled
- Owner does not necessarily have to pay out of pocket – Homeowners insurance policies usually cover such accidents. If dog owner was a tenant, their landlord may also be liable depending on a few factors, mostly negligence
How Our Law Office Can Help
Our law office is equipped with the best attorneys and resources to help victims of dog attacks. We are aware of the complex laws surrounding dog bites, and we know what it takes to win cases. When you contact us, we will ask you a few questions to find out more about what happened. Then, a dog bite lawyer in Los Angeles will perform a thorough analysis of your case and recommend the best course of action. This might happen on the spot while you are on the phone, or it might take a few hours. This consultation is free and comes with no obligation. We also do not charge any upfront fees, we work on a contingency basis. You will owe us nothing until and unless we recover money for your damages. If we don’t win, you don’t pay. Please contact us today to receive immediate legal help.